A decade ago, shopping was an ordeal. Whether you had to pick up an outfit for a special occasion or do the weekly grocery run, it meant popping into the store. Today, thanks to the dawn of ecommerce and the ever-expanding reach of the internet, all it takes is the click of a button. However, when it comes to jewellery, people still prefer the physical route. Buying gold and diamond jewellery is an expensive affair that involves a certain aspect of trust. Trust that traditional dealers have built over the years that most consumers are sceptical to grant online retailers today. Contrary to popular belief, purchasing jewellery online can be a safe and seamless journey, but ONLY if you take the necessary precautions:
- Assess Authenticity- Authenticity is a prime concern for people who wish to buy jewellery online. Take a look at the ‘About Us’ section of the website to ensure that they only sell products that have be certified. Laboratories perform strict quality check, prior to certifying their quality. When it comes to gold or silver, the BIS hallmark certificate, guarantees the quality of the products. For example: diamonds sold at Golden Gazelle are certified by EGL (European Gemological Laboratory), while the gold is BIS hallmarked, making them a safe bet. The brand also provides a guarantee card that proves the authenticity of every piece purchased.
- Do your homework-While some jewellers deliver quality along with the convenience and affordability they offer, others don’t. Before you make a purchase online, it’s important to do your research. A simple internet search will give you all the information, inclusive of testimonials for and reviews of the product.
- Compare your options- The more you see the more you learn. Don’t make a hasty decision when it comes to purchasing jewellery online. Browse through different sellers and compare the products based on designs, prices, reputation, and more importantly, customer feedback. Is the same or similar product being sold by other retailers? Is there a difference in the cost? If so, why? After careful consideration and a better understanding of the options available to you online, you can make an informed decision about your purchase.
- Social media game- Social media gave people the power to voice their opinions and share their experiences. It’s a tool that we often overlook that can give us the information we need when investing a hefty sum on jewellery. A brand’s social media presence says a lot about its reputation. It is important to visit their pages on social media and analyse the engagement with their customers. Brands that respond to consumer complaints, almost instantly, and address the issue at hand, tend to be trustworthy and dependable.
- Word of mouth- If you’re still not convinced, you can always ask around to cross-check a seller’s reputation. Regardless of how far technology goes, we are more likely to believe something that someone we know tells us. Another precautionary measure that we can take is to speak to friends, family and acquaintances that have interacted with the brand in the past.
- A personal touch- While a number of brands today depend heavily on chatbots to deliver seamless experiences, a personal touch goes a long way in building the customer’s confidence in the brand. At Golden Gazelle, people can connect directly with the owner/designer, who is more than happy to respond to your queries and clarify any reservations you might have about her brand.
The question of whether buying jewellery online is safe or not, has more to do with the reputation of the seller and accountability of the brand. A brand that has a history and a legacy is easy to trust, it’s the smaller sellers that seem questionable in our minds. But this is not necessarily true. So, before you hit the purchase button, take the precautions we’ve suggested and make your decision a safe one.